We are halfway through week 3 of DrH’s first rotation of residency, which happens to be neuro ICU, and I have come to the conclusion that as long as I keep him fed, he is happy – well that and if I tuck him into bed as early as possible :-).
I have always enjoyed baking, but I’d say I am not as great about cooking meals. I blame it on my schedule and lack of energy to do something in-depth by the time I get home. But, now that both DrH and I are working a lot and trying to save money I have attempted to cook larger meals that would make enough to be able to freeze leftovers for DrH to take for lunch. The first week I cooked my turkey chili (recipe here) since it was quick, easy and I knew DrH likes it. But, last week I got a little more adventurous. I first tried a greek yogurt chicken salad recipe that looked good and healthy. I will not be sharing that recipe since DrH was not a fan and claimed that it was sour tasting. I didn’t think it was that bad! At least I tried! I then decided to break out the crock-pot and make a recipe that I had found on Pinterest hoping my luck would be a little better this time around.
It was a success!! DrH loved it! It was easy to put together and let cook while I was at work. The best part was that there was about 3 lunches worth of leftovers that I was able to freeze for DrH. I will be making this one again.
- 1½ lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- to taste cracked pepper
- 2 cups dry rice
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar
- Add everything except the rice and cheese to the slow cooker along with 1/2 cup of water (for good measure). Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
- Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions.
- After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken. Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese.